Roots of Kimchi – authentic Korean kimchi made in the UK
A fusion of Korean heritage and modern British artisan production, Roots of Kimchi is a new brand of kimchi made in the UK, organic and non-organic options are available. Packed with flavour and a spicy kick that you can't ignore, Roots of Kimchi is created in small batches to authentic family recipes by a Korean chef. It delivers a wild taste sensation undiscovered by British consumers until now..... hang on a minute though, what is kimchi?
Okay, Kimchi is a Korean cuisine staple. ingredients can vary slightly but generally speaking it includes pickled, fermented vegetables, garlic, chilli, ginger and often fish sauce. It gets tastebuds dancing with its sweet, sour, spicy flavours. It's no one hit wonder and can be used as a condiment, a dip, an ingredient or side dish.
Rob Peacock, co-director at Roots of Kimchi said, “Many British people will never have heard of kimchi, but we’re determined to change that. Not only is it delicious and bursting with flavour, it offers a host of nutritional advantages as part of a balanced diet. Our range of Kimchi for Kids is also a good way to encourage children to consume more vegetables, it’s a fun and tasty new food for them to try.”
Roots of Kimchi is produced in four variants, all made to a gluten-free recipe:
• Organic Vegan Cabbage Kimchi – staple Korean kimchi with bold, rich, wholesome flavours
• Organic Vegan Mooli Kimchi – big, crunchy chunks, slightly sweet
• Organic Mooli Kimchi for Kids – a slight twist on traditional radish kimchi made from crispy shredded organic mooli, vegan and full of goodness
• Organic Parsnips & Carrots Kimchi – naturally sweet, crunchy, vegan
Julia Davies, nutritional therapist and consultant to Roots of Kimchi, commented, “I often recommend kimchi to my clients as a way of introducing wholesome, nutritious vegetables to their regime and because the positive impact of kimchi on the gut and the immune system is profound. Gut health is more important than ever now and the market really needed an organic range of authentic kimchi. It’s fantastic that the Roots of Kimchi team has delivered it.”
I was given Roots of Kimchi samples to try and was impressed by the deep flavours of garlic and chilli, the robustness of the vegetables and overall punchiness of the product. Unlike some others I have tried, this is no dumbed down kimchi. Food wimps it's not for you!
Some kimchi facts
1. An average of 40 pounds (18kg) of kimchi is consumed per person per year in Korea. It is considered Korea’s national dish.
2. There are hundreds of kimchi varieties made with different vegetables as the main ingredients.
3. Kimchi contains high levels of lactic acid bacteria (108~9/ml), organic acids, vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and other functional components beneficial to health. It is considered a nutraceutical food.
4. It helps improve digestion and gut health and studies show that kimchi's benefits including positive values such as being anti-atherosclerotic, anti-diabetic and anti-obesity.
5. Kimchi contains living micro-organisms amplified during fermentation. In addition to the benefits of lactic acid bacteria, kimchi has probiotic effects.
6. Kimchi includes vitamin B, vitamin C, carotenoids, chlorophylls, indole-3-carbinol, flavonoids and unsaturated fatty acids.
7. By maintaining good gut health, kimchi can help fight bacterial and viral infections. 70-80% of our immune system is in the gut.
8. Clinical research has shown that kimchi may decrease insulin resistance and increase insulin sensitivity, while improving glucose tolerance. It is also low in calories.
Roots of Kimchi retails from £4.99 for a 275g jar and £6.99 for 475g and is available from amazon.co.uk and health food stores.
Roots of Kimchi organic products are certified by the Organic Food Federation.
I'm Gilly, award winning journalist and author of 12 books. Published credits: Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, CNN, Daily Express, Country & Town House, The Scotsman, The Sun, Woman's Own, National Geographic, etc